How can I support my child to learn Set 1 sounds and to blend?
- Watch the ‘Reading the stretchy sounds with your child’, ‘Reading the bouncy sounds with your child’ and ‘Reading the digraphs with your child’ parent films on https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents-copy-2/ to see how to teach Set 1 sounds.
- Practise reading known Set 1 Speed Sounds cards speedily. If needed, show your child the picture side of the card to help them remember the sound.
- We teach children to read and spell using Fred. He is a toy frog who can say the sounds in words, but not the whole word. Children have to help him. To help children learn to blend, we say the sounds as Fred and then children repeat the sounds and say the whole word. Here are two ways you can use Fred Talk at home:
- Play Fred Games together – see Fred Games document on https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents-copy-2/ .
- Speak like Fred throughout the day e.g. time for l-u-n-ch! Let’s p-l-ay!